Thursday 3 March 2016

The 5th Wave By: Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave
By: Rick Yancey

“Sometimes in my tent, late at night, I think I can here the stars scraping against the sky”

Cassie and Sam are two regular kids.  Sam is 5 years old and Cassie is 16.  Cassie goes to parties,   worries about her grads, has lots of friends and has a boy crush, Ben Parish.  That all ended when the others came, the others are aliens.  Their goal is there to wipe out all of humanity using the 4 waves.

The 1st t wave is lights out where the others took away all of the power in the world which means no cars, no phones, no lights and no electronics.  The 2nd wave is surfs up, where an earthquake is strong enough to shake the entire planet.  The 3rd wave is Pestilence, where the others took one of the worst viruses in the world like Ebola and made it 20x worse and made it unstoppable. The 4th wave is silencer; the others are now off the mother ship and begun haunting for survivors to kill them. But what is the 5th wave?  

Cassie and Sam are now in a refugee camp and the military comes, the military say that they only have room to take the kids first and they will come back for the adults.  Sam and Cassie go onto the bus and one of the military men stops Cassie, the man seas Cassie can’t go on the bus with Sam and they start arguing.  Cassie doesn’t win and Sam gives Cassie his teddy bear, Sam tells Cassie do you promise if I give you teddy would you will keep teddy safe, Cassie promises and gives him a big hug, she gets off the bus and waves good bye. Will Cassie ever see Sam again?

I have not read the whole book but I’m more than half way through and I’ve seen the movie. Sometimes I think what if aliens are real and what if they come to earth, would they be friendly like they would share their experiences about space and teach us about their home planet or would they be evil and try to kill us and take over our home planet leaving humanity to extinction. Seeing a teenage girl like Cassie going through so many emotions like losing her mom, dad and her brother being taken to a military base not knowing what they would do to him, throughout the book you will notice once in a while Cassie would say “I promised I’ll come and get you Sam and I’ll never leave you alone again I promise”.  I love how keeps she keeps her promise when she’s a hundred miles away from Sam not knowing if he is dead or alive, no matter what would happen she will always keep her promise until she gets him back.

I recommended this book to anyone over 12-13 years old, if you like SI-FI, aliens, fighting, and a little bit of romance then this is the book for you! You can find this book in your local library and any bookstore.

By: Nicole 

7 comments:

  1. Star : Great cliffhanger makes me really want to read it how she will get him back

    Star : Great sentence structure

    Wish : I would ask for a better hook, thanks

    Juan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Star: you introduce the characters very well in the book review.
    Star: The cliffhanger goes really well with your proper sentence structure.
    Wish: I wish you would've added a rating for your book review. -Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Star: Great review about the book it makes me want to know if Cassie will ever see Sam again.

    Star: I like how write about the 4 waves.

    Wish: My wish is that you could make the hook better.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Star: I like how you would leave a cliff hanger on the end of each topic before you start a new one.
    Star: You explained every wave very well.
    Wish: You should maybe work on a little more proper grammar. Good Job!
    -Lexie Desjarlais 8B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Star: I like how you included a quote in the beginning of the review.

    Star: The summary of the book was good, after the review, you know what the book is about.

    Wish: Fix up some spelling mistakes.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. you had really good cliff hanger because I really want to read this book now and you also had a good hook.
    my wish is that you put more of your own opinion in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sentence structure and it had a good cliff hanger. I wish you finished the book so you can write more because it was pretty good. By Jayden

    ReplyDelete