Thursday 3 March 2016

HOLES By Louis Sachar

HOLES
By Louis Sachar

Being lucky is great, but being unlucky obviously isn’t.  The book Holes, is a great novel written by Louis Sachar.  The book was published August 20th, 1998 and has won over 100 awards for the Young People’s Literature.  Additionally, with the book’s success, a film adaptation was created April 18th, 2003.  I recommend this book for the youth who can relate to Stanley because of his bad luck, or, if they just want to have a good read.

As you can tell from the previous paragraph, the main protagonist: Stanley Yelnats IV, has really bad luck, so he’s frequently placed in ironic situations due to this.  A good example of his bad luck is displayed when a pair of shoes ‘magically’ fall from the sky and he goes to correctional facility because of it.  How?  Of course, you can’t turn down a pair of good shoes falling from the sky for free, right?  But it just so happens to belong to a famous athlete who has recently gotten his pair shoes stolen – and Stanley takes the blame, so, he’s off to a juvenile correctional facility, to dig holes.  Lots and lots of holes every single day – but why would they dig holes as a punishment to turn the kids into better people?  Obviously, the logic that the correctional facility has is completely wrong, so why make them dig holes in the first place?  Could it be for some entirely different reason, or is that really the way they intend to improve children?

Personally, I thought the novel was fantastic to read, because the further you get into the book, the history that the book provides become progressively connected to each other until they are all linked to form a very satisfying ending to the book.  Louis Sachar has really made a great success to this novel in terms of the way he portrays the story of the characters involved with the history of Stanley along with his family.


Finally, I would like to point out again that this book not only has over 100 awards, but it deserves all of the awards that it has been given.  This book has been a personal favourite of mine because of how it changed the way I saw a book; I now see them as an adventure, something for me to imagine a whole new world and not just paper with words on it.  This book has turned something I used to rarely do into something I loved doing.

By Richard Marinas

12 comments:

  1. Star: Richard, I really like that you added your own opinion and why you think others should read it.
    Star: You made it possible for other readers to make connections to the book by saying Stanley's personality.
    Wish; I wish you had put is in suspense by having a cliff hanger at the end. Otherwise it was perfect 9/10
    By Yuan Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved your hook.
    This made me want to read really read this book.
    I wish you wrote more because your review is sooo good!
    By: Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your hook and I also like your opinion of the book. I would like seeing the other books that he did.
    by Kaylee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Star : Great connection at the end!

    Star : Great hook

    Wish : I wish for a longer hook

    Juan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the way who you recommend the book to and how put details in the book review. I wished that you would share other books that the same author wrote. -Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you hook
    5/5 stars
    I really want to read this book now so I can know what happens and that's a good thing good job
    by:Natan Laliberty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked your fancy words.
    I also liked the way you made it an essay.
    I wish you didn't it into an essay because its so long.
    By Josiah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fact that you mentioned the book's awards, which makes me interested what makes this book so good. Really good choice of words, it makes me want to read more. Though it is a little to long.
    By: Ghia 8B

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's super neat how you started with when it was published and the awards it's won. That was a really good beginning because it makes you wonder what the book is about if it has won so much.
    You explained the plot very well and it is sure to draw in new readers who haven't read the book because it makes you wonder what goes on in the camp.
    I wish you gave maybe one more point on why you like the story, because it's very interesting to read why people like the book they're reading.
    -Thomas (8B)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the information you gave at the beginning.
    I like how you described the main character.
    I wish you would leave a cliff hanger at the end.
    By: Hailey 8C

    ReplyDelete
  11. like the starter paragraphed
    like the end of your story
    special font

    Nathan warren

    ReplyDelete
  12. star: i liked your hook
    star: you made me want to read holes
    wish: i wish i had a wish to give you!
    great job Nicle

    ReplyDelete