Tuesday 8 March 2016

Hockey Night In Transcona By: John Danakas

Hockey Night In Transcona
By: John Danakas

Money is an issue for many families in Canada.  Especially if you have children that want to be involved in sports.  For one boy, his dream is to play organized hockey.  Cody Powell from Winnipeg, Manitoba grew up beside an outdoor hockey rink.  He would skate on the bumpy ice surface every day after school for countless hours.  Money was an issue in his family with his mother going through a tough divorce.  Which meant she has to pay the bills.  It destroys his mother everyday because he wants to fulfill his dream to one-day play in the NHL.  His friends really want Cody to play but a coach does to.  Coach Bracket was looking for some kids to try out for his team.  He approached Cody and asked him if he would like a try out.
 
Would Cody’s mom approve? 

Will Cody’s dream come true? 

Find out in this must read book!  

This story is about how friends and family come together to help a young boy.  Its really inspiring to see how his friends lend him equipment to try out for the local hockey team.  This book is my favourite because Cody is from the same place as me.  I recommend this book to anyone if you love sports and reading about how a kid battles diversity, this is the right book for you!  

Overall I give this book a 5 out of 5.

Some other action packed sports books that you might also enjoy by John Danakas:

Lizzie’s Soccer Showdown





Hockey Heroes
Brothers On Ice

Soccer Showdown

By Brendan

6 comments:

  1. Star: I really like that you made a connection to the setting of the book.
    Star: I also like how you suggested other books by the author.
    Wish: I wish you would have left more of a cliff hanger.
    By: Emily 8B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Star: I really liked your cliff hangers.
    Star: I really like how you recommended other books that people might in joy.
    Wish: I wish you would have put what ages it is good for.
    By: Nyah Edwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your hook.
    I liked that you rated the book.
    I wish you wrote more because this is good.
    By: Brandon(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. The review was amazingly written, I liked how you expressed the character's feelings. Its surprising the way it made me want to read the book. I'm just amazed.
    By preet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your hook it is so true for some families.
    I love your cliff hangers and the relation you should with the book.
    I wish that I had a wish for you.
    Dawson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Star: Brendan I like your personal connection.
    Star: I like that you said where the book took place and why others should read it.
    Wish: I wish you wrote more about the book.
    Yuan Garcia

    ReplyDelete